Observations in 2010
1. Married people with kids really have a lot to worry about.
From my conversations about family life with my older colleagues, my conclusion is married people with kids worry about a lot more. They shared that the experiences of bringing up children bring a different kind of joy. Since life is all about shared experiences, surely this is one journey worth taking. But I think it's one worth taking if you can afford it. Why that view? In the past, I believe my parents didn't think twice about getting married and starting a family - it was a duty, a way of life. Life was simpler back then, and families were more close knit, so members help each other out. There was a collective spirit, like being part of the same team (clan). I'm born in the me-generation. Everything is about personalization. Would you tradeoff for something less, a far less happening lifestyle if you had a kid? It wouldn't be something I would plan for. I don't want to raise my kid to live my dream for me. Though I suspect, once kids appear, you will be living for the kid - like the way I see how my parents did.
2. You can't stop people from saying the grass is greener on the other side
But what if I liked my grass less green? Being single and scouting around doesn't bother me. It's my selfish stage in life - I do what I want without answering to anyone. Asking me why I am single does. It's akin to asking someone, "Eh, why no kids yet?" The question sounds so negative about the person(s). It's as if being attached and with kids is "better". There's no better or worse, it's just a stage of life. Some people experience all stages: grow up as only child, grow up in broken homes, no kids because they cannot have. Some people don't or have not yet. Doesn't mean they are lesser that those who do.
So finally as the year winds down - already mid August! I have firmed up my plans to travel to Taiwan and South Korea. So once again, the aim of 3 new places visited will be achieved. Actually 5 - if Langkawi and Penang are counted.
Learnt how to ski (super love it) and surf (doesn't really count at Wavehouse though).
Finished 2 books (need to catch up on more)
Some more things to accomplish man but not a bad half-year score card I guess. =D
Sunday, August 15, 2010
Posted by edmund at 7:19 PM
No comments:
Post a Comment